Archive for the 'Ceasefire' Category

78 Israeli violations of Gaza ceasefire

Palestinian Information Centre

ceasefire (400 x 266)

Al-Mezan Center for Human Rights reported Thursday that Israel had committed 78 violations in the border areas and off the coast of the Gaza Strip since it reached a ceasefire deal with the Palestinians in August last year.

In a statement, al-Mezan center said that two Gazans were killed, while 52 others were injured by Israeli gunfire during the five past months. 49 arrests were also reported during the same period.

Since September 2014, the Israeli occupation forces along the border with Gaza opened their machinegun fire 29 times, killing two citizens and injuring 35 others including nine children. Read more »

Israeli F-16s back in Gaza skies, int’l community watches silently

by Julie Webb-Pullman

Israeli F-16s are flying low over Gaza thismorning hot on the heels of Saturday’s airstrikes in Khan Younes, bringing the number of ceasefire violations since August to at least 95.

The propensity for desperate governments such as Netanyahu’s to try to shore up support in upcoming elections by waging war does not justify either the practice, or this latest onslaught by Israeli forces on Gaza, still reeling from last summer’s slaughter. Read more »

Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice!

DSC06877

DSC06831

DSC06858 Read more »

MOH Gaza: Israeli ‘false pretences’ for renewal of Gaza offensive

Press Release
Gaza Ministry of Health, Palestine

August 22, 2014

Rafah bomb site where 3 Qassam commanders and at least 5 civilians were killed, and more than 50 injured. Photo: AFP

Rafah bomb site where 3 Qassam commanders and at least 5 civilians were killed, and more than 50 injured. Photo: AFP

The Ministry of Health Gaza abhors the ongoing massacres of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip by Israeli military forces, in which 65 people have been killed and 220 injured since the collapse of the ceasefire agreement on Tuesday – a collapse that lies squarely at the feet of the Israeli regime.

Former Israeli Attorney General Michael Ben Yair today admitted that the Israelis staged the alleged Hamas breach on Tuesday in order to assassinate Al Qassam leader Mohammed Deif.

This deceitful outrage continues to be used as an excuse to carry out massive attacks on Gazan civilians – according to Israeli news agency ynet a few tons of explosives were used to destroy the building in which Mohammed Abu Shamala, Raed al-Attar and Mohammed Barhoum were killed in Rafah, killing at least five and injuring at least 50 additional civilians and completely destroying dozens of homes, leaving a crater the size of a residential block in their place – and the Gaza health services to pick up the pieces. Read more »

Another 72-hour ceasefire in Gaza to commence at midnight

Palestinian resistance and Israeli delegations in Cairo have agreed to a new 72-hour ceasefire in Gaza, slated to begin at midnight.

An official announcement for the timing of the start of the ceasefire is expected soon.

The ceasefire will provide an opportunity for further discussion, including with the Arab League, who will convene in Cairo on Monday to discuss the situation in Gaza.

PFLP: Palestinians are committed to the terms of the resistance

Press Release
Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine

Abu Ahmad Fouad

Abu Ahmad Fouad

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine is committed to the terms of the resistance in the paper presented in Cairo, said Comrade Abu Ahmad Fouad, Deputy General Secretary of the PFLP, calling on all factions and the unified Palestinian delegation to reject suggestions to delete some of those terms or postpone them to future negotiations, saying they should be dealt with as a package. Read more »

Any ceasefire agreement must be based on international law, respect for human rights

Press Release
Ministry of Health Gaza
August 06, 2014

The Ministry of Health Gaza insists that any ceasefire agreement must guarantee the human rights of our people, most importantly, the right to health.

We therefore stress that any agreement arising out of the talks in Cairo must be based on international law, not self-interest.

We emphasise that international law is something that is applied without fear or favour, not negotiated.

Palestinian loss of land to 2012

Palestinian loss of land to 2012

Read more »

In the name of humanity, stop the Israeli slaughter of innocents in Gaza

Press Release
Gaza Ministry of Health, Palestine
August 04, 2014

Medics remove a child from the rubble after the Israeli airstrike in Shaati camp today

Medics remove a child from the rubble after the Israeli airstrike in Shaati camp today

The Ministry of Health Gaza condemns in the strongest possible terms the Israeli breaking of the humanitarian ceasefire in a murderous attack on the Al-Bakri family home in Al-Shaati refugee camp in west Gaza City, killing an eight-year-old child and injuring 30 other people, mostly women and children.

This attack on a home in one of the most densely populated residential areas on earth only minutes after the commencement of a humanitarian ceasefire can only be seen as a calculated and deliberate attack on civilians. Read more »

Kuwaiti Maternity Hospital in Rafah unable to cope with scores of dead and injured

Press Release
Gaza Ministry of Health, Palestine
August 03, 2014

Dead bodies stacked in a cold-store

Dead bodies stacked in a cold-store

The Ministry of Health Gaza is reeling from the reports coming out of Rafah, where scores have been killed and injured today, including 10 dead and over 30 injured in yet another attack on an UNRWA school, this time the Anas Ibn Malik Prepatory School sheltering thousands of forcibly displaced persons.

A group of women, children and older people were sitting against the wall at the entrance to the school seeking shade from the sun when they were struck.

This atrocity follows dawn attacks in Rafah on the Ghoul and Abu Jazzar family homes which left 18 dead and dozens injured, and brings the number killed in Gaza today to at least 118. Read more »

Urgent call from MOH Gaza for international assistance to evacuate civilians

Press Release
Gaza Ministry of Health, Palestine
August 01, 2014

The Ministry of Health Gaza calls for immediate international assistance to evacuate thousands of civilians trapped under heavy Israeli bombardment in Rafah, in which at least 40 have already been killed and over 150 injured.

Some five kilometres between Salah Al-Eddin street and Al Najjar Hospital is under intense and indiscriminate artillery fire, ambulances are unable to reach the wounded, and thousands of civilians are trapped in their homes.

We cannot reach the civilians to evacuate them, the wounded to provide medical care, or the dead to retrieve their bodies.

Israel has informed the United Nations that there is no truce.

We have officially notified the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Geneva of the critical situation, which has all the makings of the biggest Israeli massacre in living memory.

Gaza needs immediate help to evacuate civilians from this area. Read more »

BREAKING NEWS: Massacre in Rafah during ceasefire

Ministry of Health Gaza reports a massacre in Ajnana in Rafah in which 40 people have been killed and at least 100 injured, according to initial hospsital reports. The killings come only hours after a 72-hour ceasefire commenced.

Who violates ceasefires more, Israelis or Palestinians?

by Ali Abunimah
Source: Electronic Intifada

ceasefireviolations-datasketch-rev01-20140724 (400 x 308)

The United States and other governments have harshly blamed Hamas for the ongoing slaughter in Gaza because they refused a unilateral “ceasefire” declared by Israel on 14 July through its Egyptian proxy.

But as dozens of prominent figures in Gaza civil society write, “Hamas represented the sentiment of the vast majority of residents when it rejected the unilateral ceasefire proposed by Egypt and Israel without consulting anyone in Gaza.”

“We share the broadly held public sentiment that it is unacceptable to merely return to the status quo” of devastating Israeli siege on Gaza, the civil society leaders said. “To do so would mean a return to a living death.”

To put the situation in context, Visualizing Palestine (visualizingpalestine.org) created the infographic above that charts the routine violations of the last Egyptian-brokered ceasefire from 22 November 2012 until 7 July 2014. Read more »